Grant Writing Workshop at GAIN Conference
Successful Grantwriting and Fundraising with Shoshanah Goldberg-Miller, PhD
Tuesday, October 9th, 9:00am – 12:00pm, AIGA GAIN conference
The keys to successful grant-seeking are effective research, compelling prose, clear budgets and constructive relationships. This workshop provides insights into proposal preparation from both the grant-seeking and grant-making perspectives. The session includes an overview of research resources and proven techniques for effective writing and efficient budgeting.
- Learn how to produce an award-winning grant proposal that has the ability to open hearts and minds
- Learn to identify the important work you do, the human stories you have to tell, and the challenges your organization faces
- Think about what distinguishes your work from others in your field
- Discuss how to prepare narratives and budgets that will make prospects truly care about your organization
- Walk in the shoes of your targeted funder and prepare to communicate in their frame of reference
Participants will also gain an understanding of development issues in the nonprofit world, including sources of income, motivations and expectations of donors, and the techniques and tools that comprise fundraising. The emphasis is on understanding the match of funding opportunities and fundraising techniques to donors’ values, interests, capability, and inclination to give, and creating and implementing fundraising materials that are effective and compelling.
Goldberg-Miller has over twenty years of experience in nonprofit administration and corporate sponsorship, and also teaches courses in cultural policy, media management, arts administration and grant writing at The New School, Hunter College and Columbia University.