Nuts+Bolts DEC Conference Call for Submissions and Abstract Readers
We are pleased to announce the Spring 2016 Design Educators Community conference:
Tightening up classroom fundamentals, reinforcing careers, and constructing the future of the discipline
June 15-16, 2016
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio
Nuts & Bolts, a national AIGA Design Education conference for emerging and established design educators, administrators, students, and designers will strip away the mystique of academia and help build a solid foundational knowledge of discipline-specific teaching methods.
Envision emerging and seasoned educators engaging in faculty mentoring and collaboration through direct conversation, with workshops, panels and sessions designed to help move careers, and the field of the design teaching profession, forward.
Through a series of group discussions, workshops, lectures, speakers and learning sessions, opportunities for open dialogue will be facilitated. Participants will be encouraged to share their challenges and achievements with others, uncover our educational shortcomings, identify our responsibilities, and offer pathways to solutions, all for the greater good of design and the global community.
There will be 2 juried tracks:
- Creating a new curriculum vs. modifications
- Critique Process
- Culture of Care/Ethics/Empathy
- Learning Models & Curriculum (project-based learning, problem-based learning, flipped classroom, inside out learning, blended learning, active learning, service learning, gamification, challenge-based learning, collaborative projects, interdisciplinary projects, co-ops, distance learning, undergraduate + graduate, and more)
- Role of environments and space in the learning (and teaching) experiences
- Teaching beyond the designer of 2015
- Becoming a Design Educator
- Faculty Engagement
- Defining Research (creative, practice, writing/criticism)
- Navigating Academia (language/politics)
- Scholarship of Teaching; connecting this with students
- Standards of Teaching + Ethics
There are five (5) ways you can participate in the Nuts + Bolts Conference:
- Apply to participate as a “reader” of paper proposals
- Submit a proposal for 20-minute presentation
- Submit a proposal for a PechaKucha presentation
- Propose and moderate a roundtable discussion
- Attend the conference
Download the Call for Abstract Readers (pdf) due January 22, 2016.
Download the Call for Submissions
due February 8, 2016.
Extended through March 8th.
We have had many submissions in the Pedagogy area and while submissions from either area are still welcome, we are especially seeking contributions under the Profession umbrella.
Stay tuned for a full conference website to be launching soon. Until then, for questions/more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org